Lights. Kettle. Action. The Hub is back in business
15th July 2020
Cake and cuppas are back on centre stage at the Little Theatre – and going down a treat with customers.
It is likely to be a while before the lockdown safety curtain is lifted from the theatre’s stage.
But from Tuesday July 14 our drop-in café has been safely serving snacks and drinks – to enable loyal customers to start re-visiting the popular Hub community meeting point.
Things will be different, as the theatre strives to revive its arts-flavoured watering hole.
There will be:
- A limited menu – with home-made scones and cakes, sausage rolls, hot and cold drinks
- Restricted opening hours – 10am to 2pm, Tuesday to Saturday
- Fewer tables, catering for 27 people, to maintain social distancing
- Card payment only. No cash.
- A one-way system –entry via the main door and exit at the side.
- A maximum of five people in the queue
- Only one member of staff behind the counter – so please be patient and kind
- Volunteers meeting and greeting to guide people
- Hand sanitising stations
- A track-and-trace log of visitors
But there is the same warm welcome and a chance to support the theatre’s future work through a donations collection box.
The theatre has been shut for more than three months with no income – which means a host of cancelled and postponed performances and make savings.
Reopening the Hub is a baby step out of lockdown, but an important one to provide a safe meeting spot for Little Theatre supporters – as well as starting to generate income that is vital for future plans and programming.
Front of house manager Janet Farrow said: “We cannot wait to welcome our customers back and hopefully they will be pleased to see us too.
“We want to support the community we serve, and if they can support us in these difficult times it will really help us too.”
After a successful first day Janet reported a steady stream of cafe visitors delighted to be back at the venue, and after a fortnight the opening hours were doubled from 10-12 to 10-2.
Menu and opening hours may change in the coming weeks. For updates keep in touch with this website and our social media platforms on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.